Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy MLK Day!

Welcome Back!

Although I know that many schools were out today in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday, our school was not.  However, I took time today--and I will the rest of the week--to help educate our youngsters about some of our country's history and how one man--just one man--made such a difference.  He knew in his heart what was right and what was wrong, and he was never swayed from his beliefs.  He encountered many difficulties for himself, his family, and others, yet he understood the importance of his mission.

After talking a bit with my students today, I had them draw or write about THEIR dreams for our country and our world.  Today I had kindergarteners, first graders, and second graders.  You would be amazed at the ideas that they had for our world!  While some of them mimicked the ideas of MLK, others were concerned about hunger around the world and taking care of our earth.  It was a wonderful day of sharing ideas!

How about you?  What are you planning this week for your students?  How are you planning to continue the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.?

Have a great week!

Carol Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment