Monday, March 9, 2015

Project Procrastination: Are You Paralyzed by Fear?

Are you a procrastinator?  Do you tell yourself that you "work best under pressure"?  Maybe you're "thinking about" your project or your lesson plans or doing the laundry...Welp, I am a procrastinator.  A bad one.  I have lots and lots and lots and lots of ideas.  And I want to share them with you.  So why haven't I?  Hmmm.... must  be that pesky procrastination problem.

But let me 'fess up.  When I first started this blog, I was SO excited!  I couldn't go to sleep at night because I was just so pumped up to be embarking on this journey!  So why the procrastination?  I think of myself as a confident person, and I really feel--or think I feel--like I can do just about anything I set my mind to.  So, why haven't I?

Fear.

When I started the blog, I couldn't wait to use this forum for many purposes:  to help teachers with those brainiacs who need to be pushed to excellence and past, to advocate for the needs of gifted students, and last but not least, to supplement my income.  This girl seriously needs a swimming pool.  And a new car. Ha!  Wouldn't that be amazing?!  So, what happened?  Well, lemme tell ya...

Sometimes I need a new filter.  Or even a filter AT ALL!  Anybody with me?  I just get all upset and emotional and excited over all the needs that these students have.  And I don't always take the time to really think things over.  So right after I started the blog, I ranted and vented about my daughter's experience at school.  And that went over really well...  Let's just say I got to visit the superintendent's office over it.  Not exactly my idea of a good time.

So here comes the paralyzing fear.  That negative response has been so hard to get over, so hard to get past.  And every time I have ideas or start to post something or create a product, fear takes over.  Will people like it?  Is it good enough to share?  Will this somehow get me into trouble?  But after much disappointment in myself and a meaningful moment in church, I am realizing that I am addicted to this procrastination thing.  So I am coming out fighting.

Help, prayers, and support would certainly be appreciated!

Love to all, Carol Ann

1 comment:

  1. Do it for yourself, Carol Ann. I think that if you are passionate about the post, or the product, and you love it, others will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete